Friday, June 6, 2014

Salvaging a too pink foundation

The hardest thing in makeup is to get your base right. You need to find the good level of coverage, the right finish, the right tone and undertone and make sure your skin doesn't get any adverse reaction. Even though I have a ridiculously big make up collection, I do try not to accumulate too much foundations and I'm often on a challenge to finish a particular foundation.

For years I've been mistakenly "accused" of having a pink undertone, because my face has quite a lot of redness. A bit over a year ago, I realized that my skin was in fact neutral leaning on yellow and some of my favorite foundations had the wrong undertone. Always match your foundation with your chest and neck.

To understand how to neutralize something, you need to know about color theory. To opposite colors on the color wheel cancel each other. Therefor, to remove the red pigment from a foundation, you need to neutralize it with green. If you need your foundation to be yellow, you need to first use some green adjuster and then add some yellow. Various professional brands offer color adjusters that you can mix with your foundation.


Because I'm not a professional make up artist and that I don't have that many pink foundation left, I decided to neutralize my foundation with a green primer and then finish it with a yellow finishing powder. If you have strong yellow undertone though, buying adjusters might be a good investment. Women with fair skin tend to have less strong undertones.


The too pink foundation (It's a light coverage foundation, but trust me it's pink!)


adjusted version on the left, untouched on the right



As you can see, mixing the foundation with green turns it into a neutral shade. 

20 comments:

  1. MUFE face and Body that I have is also too too pink! Ill try this technique!

    New Chanel Les Beiges Multi Color No. 02 review | TheConscienceFund

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this foundation was released in the 90's of lot of the shades are very pink! Let me know what you think

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, interesting technique! How about adding more color to a foundation that makes me look really pale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a genius! I have so many foundations that are too pink for me. Like you, I have a face that's a bit redder, but my neck and body are definitely yellow. Very yellow, even. I might give the mixing technique a try. Which yellow color adjusters would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Temptu and kett make adjusters, Temptu makes a green one and a yellow one and the bottles are quite big (30 ml or 120ml and more). Kett doesn't make a green, but you can come up to the same result with purchasing a blue and yellow. The size is more reasonable 15ml, which is still plenty. They are both available on camera ready cosmetics. I ordered from them in the past and had a good service. http://camerareadycosmetics.com/products/temptu-pro-sb-adjusters-pre-order-item.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the foundation has the right undertone the easiest thing is to buy a darker one that also has the right undertone and mix it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was such a great tip. I have a yellow undertone but I do have a lot of redness on my cheeks and I apply a green color corrector and it makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judith, here I am again, sorry for stalking ;-) Have you tried the Chromatic Mix pigments from MUFE? Temptu and Kett are difficult to get my hands on (at a reasonable price).

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really does! It prevents the red from always shining through, especially if your foundation is yellow. Yellow + red = orange

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOO what a smart idea, Judith! I don't have a lot of foundations that are too pink for me. I think the problem is some of them are too beige and not yellow enough. Now I have to figure out if I can use a primer to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too beige is easier to fix, because you don't need to neutralize anything you just need to add some yellow! A lot of companies make yellow primer, bare minerals, mac, make up for ever... I<m sure you can find one easily!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOO that's SMART! Let me look around then :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do this all the time. The color wheel is a must when it comes to makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So brilliant! Thank you so much for this. Do you have any suggestions for BB Creams that have a greyish cast?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The best is to do that, but if your don't have real pigments and the yellow is not strong enough you end up having a peach foundation if the foundation you are trying to neutralize is very pink. It works best if you are trying to "yellow up" a too beige foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know any western brand that makes some, you would have to order a korean BB cream. Illamasqua skin base is suppose to be inspired by that texture wise, but they are certainly not green.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exactly! You are so precise in this post. There is so much to consider when choosing cosmetics, esp. its reaction to your skin! Lovely, helpful post! Looking forward to more. (:

    ♥ | www.connect-the-cloths.com | xoxo
    http://blogspotter.co/connect-the-cloths

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is very helpful! I've been trying to find an easily accessible color adjuster at the right price to help me change the color of my pink undertone liquid foundation to a more neutral shade (I can swing either a warm beige or neutral base foundation since I have light yellow undertones.) I was matched completely wrong at a Kiko Cosmetics store and ended up purchasing TWO foundations that in fact were PINK under tones just two shades apart (I thought a lighter shade was the smart choice but nope, I just ended up buying another pink undertone and not NEUTRAL or WARM BEIGE. :( I wasted so much money so now I am trying to salvage what I am left with... I'm going to try MakeUpForever Primer in the green tint (I'm hoping it has the same effect as the primer you pictured above) I don't think the US has that brand and it's nearly impossible to find a color corrector in store. Fingers Crossed!

    ReplyDelete