Friday, March 14, 2014

Skin care: what ingredients you should seek



Skin care can be quite confusing. Don’t we all want to look young and pretty forever? Cosmetic companies are quite aware of that fact and they bombard us with false claims and one particular all-star ingredient!

The truth is, if you really want glowing skin they are more than one ingredient you should seek.
Here is without particular order ingredients you should try to add to your skin care routine:


·         Niacianamide: alternative to retinol, proven to be anti-aging and backed by science. Present in great quantity in Olay products. Check this article of the beauty brains about it: here

·         Retinol: This is present in the animal form of the vitamin A. There are different forms of retinoids available over the counter but this is the only one that has been proven to work. Some dermatologist can prescribe rethinoic acid which gives result faster than retinol, but is also more irritating. A study says “Amongst various anti-aging agents, retinoids are the most promising agents that are available for the treatment of aging”. Source here

·         Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C): Vitamin C is proven to stimulate the production of collagen. It can minimize fine lines, scars and wrinkles.  This is a great article about it and other skin care ingredients here

·         Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA): they come in different forms, lactic acid, glycolic acid, malic acid… This is use a a chemical exfoliant and it also provides hydratation to dry skin. This is also great for sun damaged skin. It exfoliates the top layers of the skin and can improve skin thickness and firmness. More on that here: here

·         Beta hydroxyl acid (salicylic acid): This is another chemical exfoliant. BHA is liposoluble and AHA is water soluble. This is why BHA is better for oily skin since it penetrates the pore better and his advice for oily skin with blackheads and whiteheads. Results are usually seen after six months of daily exposure. Do not expect and overnight result! Source: here

·         Full spectrum (both UVA and UVB) sunscreen. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are good options. They are a sunblock meaning that they repel the UV rays and are suitable for sensitive skin since they do not penetrate the bloodstream. here

I hope once again this was helpful! I'm currently testing some products in those different categories, I will get back to you soon with a full review.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you. I'm glad it's helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HarcrazyforcosmeticsMay 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM

    Wow.. Judith.. Awesome tips..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is great :) I will have to make a whole document of this and seriously create a lil check list next time I (am allowed to) go shopping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! I'm also new to it. I'm turning 29 next week it's time to start caring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally understand that. I use PHA which is mildy (and more expensive) than AHA and I haven't start the retinol yet. I'm progressivly adding up ingredients to give my skin a break

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Judith, I think I have more or less everything mentioned here in my skincare arsenal! Interestingly enough, I can't use a lot of retinol or AHA. I guess my skin is on the sensitive side, so it has to be treated gently!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A year ago I wouldn't have known all this, but in the past few months I've been really REALLY looking into skin care and the ingredients that good products should have, so I pay a lot of attention to it now. Thanks for the little recap! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nutrition plays definitely a role in having a good radiant skin. But what vitamin C does when applied topically is brightening the skin, I also didn't specify it, because I was trying to be concise, but when worn under sunscreen vitamin c helps with protecting the skin against rays. Aging is inevitable, but photo-agig can be prevented! The aging of the muscles and the elasticity of the skin is another story though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i wonder whats more effective... to use cream with vit C or to just take vit C regularly. just a random thought. cause ive tried several skincare products but i still believe that the main thing that keeps my skin glowy is drinking lots of water a day :)

    ReplyDelete