Saturday, November 16, 2013

Concealing redness with primer and corrector + review

For next's week posts, I thought about dedicating most of my posts on color correcting ad concealer, so if you are interested stay tuned!

For today, I will do a demo and a mini review on two products: smashbox photo finish color correcting primer in adjust (green) and Clinique redness solution targeted corrector.

The bare face
 This picture doesn't look so bad, but trust me my skin is very red, especially on shampoo day  like today. I only put a bit of serum on my face to avoid caking my face too much.

The primer 


Smashbox color correcting primers come in three shade: adjust (green) to counteract redness, balance (purple) to counteract sallowness and blend (apricot) to even out discoloration and unevenness.

This primer comes in a 30 ml bottle and I payed it around 48$ CAN, so it's definitely a luxury item. It has the same silicone silkiness as the original photo finish.

Here's my face with the primer on
As you can see it did a good job at reducing the redness. It's not perfect but if it was too pigmented I would end up with a green face.

The corrector 



The corrector I used is Clinique redness solution targeted concealer. This is a creamy stick intended to use all over or on targeted area. The texture is quite creamy. I wouldn't recommend using this everywhere, but it's good on larger red spots like rosacea.

Here's my face after the primer and concealer
As you can see most of the redness is gone but it can look a bit caky, but after a while it melts and the skin and you can't detect it anymore.

My skin is now ready for foundation and I can now afford to wear a bit of blush.

VoilĂ 
In short...
Use a redness correcting primer if you redness is apparent in most of your face. Use a corrector for targeted spot and on blemishes (but I would use a dryer corrector on blemishes like the mac studio finish in the NC shades. I don't like using a green corrector because you can always see it through, I think that yellow does a better job.

You can also use a yellow primer to correct redness (MAC makes one) or a blue primer to give a porcelain effect. I will review a blue primer on Monday and talk about other correcting primer shades for different skin tones.





4 comments:

  1. That primers is GREEN! Like, Shrek green! But the end result is great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They certainly weren't kidding when they called this a green primer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, well I would like to try using more green correctors to see what the difference really is, but so far so good with the primer I'd say! I love the result :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried once or twice green correctors but you always need to put some flesh tone corrector on top. It's great for blemishes and such, but for larger regions it can look a bit cakey.

    ReplyDelete